Between being a wife, homemaker, and mother to two beautiful children, my time is very seldom spent relaxing around the house eating bon-bons (which I’ve never even had one a day in my life!) and walking around in my bunny slippers.
Nope, my day begins with 4-6 hours of interrupted sleep (thank you baby girl–mama loves you!), coffee, and a prayer asking the Lord for guidance, patience and forgiveness for the endless hours ahead of me.
And after a much needed hour of alone time in the wee hours (yup-5AM is my friend), I begin my list of priorities. I’ve realized that by setting this short list of priorities my days run so much more smoothly. Granted my house is overrun by my toddler’s toys, Netflix plays re-runs of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Curious George, and I’m still in my pajamas most days at the end of the afternoon, BUT my kids are fed, clothed (a diaper counts as clothed, right?!), and my sanity is spared for the sleepless night ahead of me.
Now my priorities may seem mundane to you, and some simply too easy, but everyone’s home runs differently, and what works for one family doesn’t always work for another, and that’s okay. Do what works for your family.
My top priorities are simple:
- Spend at least 1 hour by myself-whether that be taking a shower or watching the news
- Say a prayer (or 5!) to the good Lord above
- Spend time with my toddler
- Shower, brush my teeth (yes, this needs to be listed or I’ll simply forget-I know gross, but its tough having a newborn and 1 yr old!)
- Cook dinner
- Pick up the house-typically doesn’t get done until bed time
- Spend at least 1 hour with my husband
- Pump breast milk at least 8 times (double duty, but its the best thing for my baby)
- Make my daily to-do list (no more than 3 things)
And that’s it! See, nothing spectacular or crazy enough to send me running through the house like a chicken with its head cut off.